The Carillon Grocery
Corner of Carillon and Wright Streets
The history of the owner of this house illustrates the social position of Hull tradespeople at the turn of the century. Magloire Dumontier was originally a maker of matches, and then a carter and iceman. He became alderman of his district from 1891 to 1895. Two years after the fire of 1900, he had this building put up and established a grocery there. His successor, George Montpetit, covered the building in brick in 1913. This is probably one of the oldest groceries on Hull Island.
Latitude North 45.4268836 Longitude West 75.7228776