The Carillon Grocery
Corner of Carillon and Wright Streets
Magloire Dumontier appears in the registers as a manufacturer of matches in 1872. Before 1884, Dumontier, a carter and iceman, already had a house and an ice-making works on the property, but he resided nearby as the house was rented out. In 1870, he was one of the founders of Hull's brass band whose first meeting took place in the forge shop of Honoré Dumontier, a neighbour and probably Magloire's brother. This band existed for many years. Magloire Dumontier was involved in municipal politics and was Alderman for District 2 from 1891 to 1895.
Dumontier's properties, located near the centre of the 1900 fire, were burnt to the ground. He built a house across the street, at 35-39 Wright, where he lived temporarily, and then in 1902 and 1903 constructed a large wooden house on the current site, at the corner of Wright and Carillon. He moved in and rented a flat to J.-P. Payment. Dumontier and his wife, Exilda Bessette, had four children: Royal, Alberta, Oscar and Alice. He died on September 9, 1905.
In 1903 and 1904, Dumontier opened a grocery on the first floor but, after a year or two, he rented the business to various tenants, including Jean-Baptiste Bélanger in 1905 and H. McCadden in 1909. In 1908, Monette and Berthiaume advertised their grocery as being in this location. In May 1911, Dumontier's heirs sold the building to Georges Montpetit of Hull, a well-known agent.
Montpetit covered the house in brick, and in 1912-1913, he added an extension measuring 4 by 9 metres. He lived in the house for only a year before moving to District 4, where he became Alderman in 1915.
In 1914, Arthur Arbique signed a lease with an option to buy, and purchased the building in 1920, only to resell it the same day to Emery Gauthier. Emery sold it two months later to Isaïe Gauthier, who sold it back to Georges Montpetit in 1926. Montpetit retained the property until his death, in 1942. His widow, Adélia Blais sold the house to Marie-Reine Robert, wife of J. A. Harper, who kept it for 28 years. Gérald Lafleur and Alfred McKinnon bought the building in 1970 and sold it in 1981 to a numbered company, which has rented it out since then.