On the Parc Laurier shoreline
From time immemorial, the site now occupied by the Canadian Museum of Civilization and the Scott Paper plant on the shores of the Ottawa River was used as a campsite by Aboriginal peoples. European explorers and travellers followed their example. Philemon Wright took advantage of this activity to build a landing for steamers and a hotel to accommodate their passengers. In the second half of the nineteenth century, the Wright, Batson & Currier sawmill preceded the E. B. Eddy sulphite plant here, which later became the Scott Paper plant.
The above photo shows three ladies at the Ottawa Ferry Landing on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River. The location for this photograph is just beside where is now a bicycle path that runs in front of the Canadian Museum of Civilization. Note the details of the Parliament Buildings before the fire, and how small the Centre Block looks compared to today.
View a transition from old to new, or see where the ladies went next, on this 25th day of February, 1899.
Latitude North 45.42752 Longitude West -75.70582