The Conservatory of Music
The David Moore Residence (Riverview)
430 Alexandre-Taché Boulevard
Vermont native David Moore, a smith, was working for Philemon Wright in 1803. Five years later, he and his brother Job settled on the 170-acre plot of
land on which this property was located. They opened a small sawmill near the creek, and ran an inn, a general store and a forge, all located on Aylmer Road. After Job
died in 1831, David continued to exploit the wood on the property until his death in 1849. The business prospered under the direction of David Moore Jr., who became one
of the wealthiest lumber merchants in the region.
Between 1860 and 1865, the younger David Moore built this large Tudor-style residence next to the family home, which is now demolished. This substantial
house, with its high gables and impressive entrance, was named "Riverview". After buying two neighbouring farms in the 1870s, Moore became the biggest landowner on Aylmer
Road. Six sons and a daughter grew up in this house.
After the death of her father in 1891, Anna Moore, who had married Edward Skead, an Ontario wood dealer, moved into Riverview and lived there until the
beginning of the next century. The impressive house was vacant for a number of years until it was purchased by Edgar Mitchel after the First World War. He converted it
into the first nightclub on Aylmer Road, the Olmstead Inn. Within a few years, it became a den of iniquity and was shut down. The famous jazzman Harvey Johnson played there.
In 1927, the Regular Canonesses of the Five Wounds of Our Saviour in Ottawa, now known as the Sisters of the Saviour, bought the building and enlarged
it to establish the Sainte-Thérèse de l'Enfant Jésus Orphanage for abandoned children and orphans. Most of the children taken in by the nuns were
girls, although there were also some boys. In 1941, the Dominican Sisters of the Rosary in Trois-Rivières took over the institution and renamed it
"Ville-Joie-Sainte-Thérèse". With the reorganization of social services in Quebec, the orphanage closed its doors in 1972 and the building remained vacant
for several years.
A French language school was housed in the building for a short time in the 1980s. Since 1987, it has been the home of the Gatineau Conservatory, founded
in 1967. The building was classified as a historical monument by the Quebec Ministry of Cultural Affairs in 1975.