179 Promenade du Portage
This hotel is the only "Renaissance castle" building in the city of Gatineau. Its history is related to the celebrated chef Henry Burger who established the hotel in 1929. Founded at a time when prohibition was in force beyond Quebec's borders, the hotel offered luxury and gastronomy. The economic crisis, Burger's departure and the abolition of prohibition affected the quality of the service, and the hotel's clientele deteriorated. The establishment lost its reputation and the building lost its sheen. Nevertheless, because of its history and its architecture, it was declared a historical monument by the City of Gatineau in 2003.
View a transition image, from new to old.
Latitude North 45.42691 Longitude West -75.71522