The former Cartier Cinema
119 Promenade du Portage
Renovations to this building have uncovered the Cartier Cinema, built by the Toronto company Interprovincial Theatres Limited. This art deco movie house, designed by the celebrated Emmanuel Biffa, opened on March 25, 1937 with the screening of the film One in a Million. Popular for many years, the theatre was abandoned by its clientele as the calibre of the films declined; city officials shut it down. It was acquired by the City in 1991 and became a computer training school in 1998.
Latitude North 45.4255232 Longitude West 75.7172684