The Bank of Montreal
40 Promenade du Portage
Three Philemon Wrights were the successive owners of this commercial lot in the nineteenth century. However, the occupants and owners of the buildings on the site were a hotelkeeper, a restaurant owner and a saddler, a rare profession nowadays. The Bank of Montreal constructed this Beaux-Arts building in 1907 at the entrance to the city, on the corner of two main thoroughfares, Bridge (Eddy) Street and Main (du Portage) Street, one of Hull's busiest intersections. The bank moved out in 1970, and a succession of restaurants occupied the building until 1995, when the current pawnshop opened its doors. In 1989, the City declared the bank building a historical monument of our architectural heritage.
View a transition image, from old to new.
Latitude North 45.42502 Longitude West 71.97483
The picture below shows the Bank logo in concrete as it appears today on the side of the building