Domestic, religious, commercial and industrial architecture of the city of Hull (Gatineau)
The settlement founded in western Quebec by Philemon Wright in 1800 preceded its counterpart, Bytown, on the other side of the Ottawa River, although it was the latter that would be chosen as Canada's capital. The Wrights built mills, dams, hotels and other amenities. E.B. Eddy continued the development in the second half of the century with his factories, again relying on the region's timber resources. In 1875 Wrightstown became a city under the name Hull (recently renamed Gatineau). The years that followed saw a piped water-supply, street lighting, hydro-electric power and public transportation introduced. Several devastating fires between 1875 and 1971, along with modern redevelopment, have wiped away much of Hull's architectural heritage. Some remaining historic buildings are documented in the photographs of Harry Foster, complemented by historical research by Michelle Guitard. The stories of residential, commercial, industrial, religious and municipal buildings are told in this virtual exhibition.