Digital Museums Canada to invest in 25 new online projectsMay 16, 2022
Digital Museums Canada (DMC) is pleased to announce that it is investing in 25 new online projects, selected from the 2021 call for proposals. The DMC program provides museums and heritage organizations with funding and mentorship to help them create inspiring online experiences to share with all Canadians.
“As newly appointed Director of Digital Museums Canada, I am inspired by the diversity, coast-to-coast reach, and innovation of the proposals. As the pandemic has continued, heritage organizations have been turning to digital as an accessible and inclusive way to reach their audiences,” said Leah Resnick.
Topics covered in this year’s new digital projects include:
- Ecology (Vancouver Island’s forests and rivers of the Fraser Valley (B.C.));
- Diaspora (the Punjabi experience in Surrey (B.C.) and immigrant food businesses in Scarborough (Ont.));
- Indigenous ways of knowing and being (projects related to Dane-zaa, Sḵwxwú7mesh, Métis and Innu);
- Ontario’s connection to Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad;
- Artists, musicians and architecture in Val-David, Québec City and Drummondville (Que.);
- Sports in London (Ont.); and
- Aviation in Harbour Grace (NL), just to name a few.
In all, DMC received 42 proposals for the medium and large investment streams, and 35 for the small stream. A competitive process via an advisory committee resulted in this year’s selection.
Digital Museums Canada offers Canadian museum and heritage organizations funding, expert guidance, and user-friendly tools to tell stories in a variety of online platforms, such as virtual exhibits and tours, online games, web apps, educational resources, and more.
“The DMC investment program provides critical funding and mentorship to Canadian heritage organizations within the digital sector,” said Resnick. “Accessibility and a user-centric approach are the heart of this program.”
At more than $2 million, DMC is the largest funding program of its kind in Canada.
Eligible organizations are invited to make submissions to the next call for proposals, which opens on Wednesday, June 15, 2022. For more information, please see the DMC website.
List of approved projects:
Managed by the Canadian Museum of History, Digital Museums Canada is a federally funded investment program that invests in online projects by Canadian museums and heritage organizations, helping them build digital capacity and share stories and experiences with people everywhere.
– 30 –