Further Reading: The social context of women at the time of Confederation
For numerous historical documents, including the text by Reverend Sedgewick, see:
- Ramsay Cook and Wendy Mitchinson, eds., The Proper Sphere: Women’s Place in Canadian Society (Toronto: Oxford University Press, 1976).
For an examination of the place of women during the first half of the nineteenth century, see:
- Elizabeth J. Errington, Wives and Mothers, Schoolmistresses and Scullery Maids: Working Women in Upper Canada, 1790–1840 (Montreal: McGill-Queen’s Press, 1995).
For an examination of the place of women during the latter nineteenth century, see:
- Cynthia Comachio, The Infinite Bonds of Family: Domesticity in Canada, 1850–1940 (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1999).
For more detailed treatments of the role of women during the Confederation era, see:
- Janet Guildford and Suzanne Morton, eds., Separate Spheres: Women’s Worlds in the Nineteenth-Century Maritimes (Fredericton, New Brunswick: Acadiensis Press, 1994).
- François Noël, Family Life and Sociability in Upper and Lower Canada, 1780–1870: A View from Diaries and Family Correspondence (Montreal: McGill-Queen’s Press, 2003).
- Peter Ward, Courtship, Love, and Marriage in Nineteenth-Century English Canada (Montreal: McGill-Queen’s Press, 1990).
- Constance Backhouse, Petticoats & Prejudice: Women and Law in Nineteenth-Century Canada (Toronto: Osgoode Society, 1991).
- Janet Guildford, “‘Whate’er the duty of the hour demands’: The Work of Middle-Class Women in Halifax, 1840–1880”, Histoire sociale/Social History XXX:59 (May 1997), pp. 1–20.
Further Reading: Women's wear at the time of Confederation
- Jacqueline Beaudoin-Ross, Form and Fashion: Nineteenth-Century Montreal Dress (Montreal, McGill/Queens University, 1992)
- Brett, Katharine B. Women’s Costume in Ontario, 1867–1907. Toronto: Royal Ontario Museum, 1966.
- Collard, Eileen. Guide to Dressmaking and Fancy Work. Burlington, Ontario: E. Collard, 1977.
- Cooper, Cynthia. Magnificent Entertainments: Fancy Dress Balls of Canada’s Governors General, 1876–1898. Fredericton and Hull: Goose Lane Editions and the Canadian Museum of Civilization, 1997.
- Godin, Christina. Les Chapeaux féminins d’hier et d’aujourd’hui. Montreal: La société d’archeologie et de numismatique de Montréal, 1989.
- Foster, Helen Bradley and Donald Clay Johnson. Wedding Dress Across Cultures. Oxford, England and New York: Berg, 2003.
- MacKay, M. Elaine. Beyond the Silhouette: Fashion and the Women of Historic Kingston (exhibition catalogue). Kingston: Agnes Etherington Art Centre, Queen’s University, 2008.
- Mackrell, Alice. Shawls, Stoles and Scarves. The Costume Accessories Series. London, England: B.T. Batsford, 1986.
- O’Day, Deidre. Victorian Jewellery. London, England: Letts, 1974.
- Palmer, Alexandra, ed. Fashion: A Canadian Perspective. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2004.
- Shonfield, Zuzanna. “The Expectant Victorian, (Late 19th Century Maternity Clothes).” Costume 6 (1972): 36-38.
- Waugh, Norah. Corsets and Crinolines. New York: Routledge, Theatre Arts Books, 2000.