- Place of Use Continent - North America, Country - Canada, Province / Territory - Ontario
- Category Furnishings
- Sub-category Furniture
- Department History
- Museum CMH
- Earliest 1855/01/01
- Latest 1865/12/31
- Inscription (label, under the seat/étiquette en dessous du siège) DAVID HOGG, Jr./CABINET AND CHAIR/MAKER,/Upholsterer/&/Undertaker/Gere Street, Perth,/C.W.
- Materials Basswood, Hardwood
- Measurements Height 100.0 cm
- Caption Arrowback Rocking Chair, 2007.22.210
Arrowback Rocking Chair
Arrowback rocking chairs, such as this one, were popular additions to many Canadian homes during the mid- to late 1800s. The back spindles of this one have been curved and flattened to ensure maximum comfort for tired backs. This example retains the original painted finish and, under the seat, the paper label of the maker, David Hogg Jr. of Perth, C.W. The abbreviation C.W. stands for Canada West, which today is Ontario.
- Caption Collection
- Additional Information John and Heather Harbinson Collection