The Canadian Nurses Association Collection
The core of the
Canadian Nursing History Collection
contains almost 1,000 artifacts which were donated by the
Nurses Association (CNA) in 2000. The CNA collection at the
Canadian Museum of Civilization consists of approximately 820
nursing artifacts and, at the Canadian War Museum, 115 military
nursing artifacts. At the National Archives, the CNA collection
consists of almost 35 metres of textual records, 1,700
audiovisual materials and 9,000 photographs.
The CNA evolved from the Canadian National Association of
Trained Nurses, a group of regional, provincial and alumnae
nursing associations that was formed in 1908. In 1924, this
group became the Canadian Nurses Association, which has since
developed into a leading and influential organization that now
represents 115,000 Canadian nurses in 11 provinces and
territories. The CNA develops national policies on nursing and
health care, with a view to furthering education, practice and
research in the field.
From its conception, the CNA produced and collected a
substantial quantity of documents, photographs and artifacts [e.g. commemorative pin 2000.111.18],
as evidence of its own activities, as well as nursing in Canada
and around the world. To increase its collection, the CNA
actively sought donations from retired nurses, collecting, for
example, school pins [e.g. graduation pin 2000.111.187]
from almost all nursing schools in Canada.
While its artifacts are now in the holdings of the Canadian
Museum of Civilization, the Canadian War Museum and the National
Archives of Canada, the CNA continues to support the collection
through the Canadian Nurses Foundation "Lighting the
Lamp" fundraising campaign.