Born in Omemee, Ontario, G.D.W. Cameron (1899–1983) studied at the Royal Military College, served overseas in England, France and Belgium, graduated in medicine from Queen’s University in 1927 and completed his diploma in public health at the University of Toronto in 1928. Between 1928 and 1939, he conducted bacteriological research at the Connaught Laboratories and taught in the University of Toronto’s School of Hygiene. From 1939 to 1944, he was Chief of the Department of Pensions and National Health’s Laboratory of Hygiene. With the creation of the new Department of National Health and Welfare, he was appointed Director of Health Services in 1945 and then served as the second Deputy Minister of Health from 1946 to 1965. Quietly and carefully, he worked with ministers, subordinates and the Dominion Council of Health to develop a step-by-step plan for implementing national health programs.