Wealthy anglers from Britain and, increasingly,
the United States become established along the salmon rivers of
northern New Brunswick.
government and vice-regal officials had long known of New
Brunswick's excellent salmon fishing and, following Confederation,
those of means returned to the province as time permitted. Their
numbers were small, however, since the Atlantic Ocean acted as a
barrier and the fishing in Scotland remained attractive.
A sportsman and two Mi'kmaq guides on the
Restigouche River (detail), 1880s
(Camp Harmony Angling Club)
It was different for the Americans. Their salmon rivers on the
east coast were in decline, victims of pollution and river dams.
Beckoned by tourist writers in the United States and, later,
Canada, they took advantage of an improved rail network to leave
the crowded northeast in greater numbers in the 1870s and 80s.
The wealthiest formed exclusive sporting clubs, especially on
both sides of the Restigouche River, noted for its large salmon
and easy access by horse-drawn scows and houseboats.
Interior of Intercolonial Railway Parlour Car
(detail), about 1895
(New Brunswick Museum)