Bibliography Navigation map Photo index Acknowledgements

Pinsonneault House
29 Wright Street

Pinsonneault House

William McKay Wright, the grandson of Hull founder Philemon Wright, inherited this land in 1864. He lost it through bankruptcy, and a certain William A. Allan became the owner in April 1882. On August 2, 1882, Allan sold it to Théophile Viau, who split Lot 237, situated on what was then Pitt (Wright) Street, and sold both half-lots the following year. On the western lot, the notary Nérée Tétreau built a house that he rented to Alphonse Pinsonneault, alternately a carter, a horsebox driver and a baker. Pinsonneault bought the property on May 11, 1898.

Like all the neighbouring houses, it burnt down in the Great Fire of 1900. The following year, Pinsonneault built a new brick house in the Italian style fashionable at the time. Nearly all the other houses on the east side of the street were constructed at the same time and registered in the 1902-1903 assessment roll.

Alphonse Pinsonneault died on December 29, 1914, having named his wife, Louise Barbeau, sole heir. She died on May 18, 1922, bequeathing all her possessions, including this property, to her daughter Marie-Blanche-C. Pinsonneault, wife of Raoul Lefort. They had eight children: Cécile, the widow of Ernest Dufour, Georges, Gilbert, Isabelle, Jean, Hélène, Ernest and Henri. Gilbert and Isabelle were still living at home when their mother died at the Sacré-Cœur Hospital, on July 4, 1978, at the age of 91. Her husband had died on August 15, 1971. The house remained in the hands of the Lefort family until recently.

The Pinsonneault house is one of a group of residences built during the first three years of the twentieth century.