211 Montcalm Street
In 1913 the heirs of Philemon Wright financed Archibald H. Coplan who wanted to establish a foundry on the Wright family farm. Hull Iron and Steel was the fourth largest steelworks in Canada at the end of the First World War. During the two great wars, more than 700 people worked there. The administration building dates from 1913, but the enormous production plant was built in the winter of 1942-1943, around the original building. And the production of steel continued throughout the construction! The foundry closed in 1946. From 1949 to 1960, J. H. Connor employed some 800 workers in his washing machine factory. Afterwards, the industrial complex served mainly as a warehouse for the federal government. The restoration was completed in 2004 and the foundry has become a sports centre that will also house social and cultural events.