The Canadian Arctic Expedition (CAE) redrew the map of northern Canada.
Stefansson and his Northern Party not only discovered four
new islands which were added to Canada's territory, but also discovered and re-mapped
in the maps previously available, some of which were based on British Expeditions
of the 1850s that were part of the search for Sir John Franklin. Maps of Banks
and Victoria Islands were clarified, Lougheed Island was delineated as one of
the Findlay Islands, and many rivers were described for the first time. During
the ice trips Expedition members made many sounding of the ocean floor, and carried
out the first tidal observations in this area.
The Southern Party completed the detailed mapping of the Arctic
coast from Alaska to Bathurst Inlet, a job started with Hearne's trip down the
Coppermine River to the coast in 1771. They also mapped the East Channel of the
Mackenzie River, the area where Inuvik is now located. Mapping the extent of the
copper deposits in the Bathurst Inlet area was a major objective of the Expedition.
Another more local map created was a chart of the harbour at Bernard Harbour based
on a survey by Cox with the assistance of Patsy Klengenberg.
Map showing all place names created by CAE, and features named
in honour of members during and long after the expedition.