Active in the second half of the 1800's, the Ottawa Literary and Scientific society eventually donated a sizeable collection of artifacts to the Geological Survey of Canada in 1884. These collections would eventually find their way to the Canadian Museum of Civilization. While the exact locations of the discoveries of these objects are lost, the first recorded archaeological site was near the current location of the Public Archives of Canada on Wellington Street. There, a communal burial was recorded by Dr. Edward Van Courtland and published in 1853.
1853 Notice of an Indian Burying Ground. Canadian Journal 1:160-161.