The Canadian Museum of History and the Canadian War Museum are pleased to encourage the responsible use of their collections.
If you wish to use, reproduce or transmit any image, text or part of the collections for purposes other than personal or research use (such as for a book, brochure, CD or DVD, film or video, website, poster, exhibition, etc.), or should you wish to use the material for any purpose other than the ones already authorized, you must first obtain a written permission from the Canadian Museum of History or the Canadian War Museum.
- Please submit your request using the online request form.
- Please note that reproduction fees and usage fees are applicable and will vary according to the planned usage.
- If the copyright on the work is not completely held by the Museum, the user must obtain written permission from the copyright owner.
- The credit line, as specified by the Museums, is mandatory and unless otherwise advised, permission to use is granted on a non-exclusive and one-time basis only.
- A period of 4 to 6 weeks may be necessary to process your request.
Should the online request form not be accessible, please submit a written request with the following information:
- Your name
- Name of your institution or company
- Postal address
- Fax and telephone numbers
- List of the material you wish to use including the photo and catalogue numbers
- Detailed description of your project, such as: title of your publication, program or product; name of publisher or producer; print run; sale price; date of production; language; rights required (Canadian, worldwide, etc.).
- When ordering a photograph of an artwork or artifact, specify the format required.
For the Canadian Museum of History Collection, please send your request, questions or comments, by email, fax or regular mail to:
Canadian Museum of History
Rights and Permissions
Library, Archives and Documentation Services
100 Laurier street
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada K1A 0M8
For the Canadian War Museum Collection, please send your request, questions or comments, by email, fax or regular mail to:
Canadian War Museum
Image Reproduction Services
1 Vimy Place
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0M8