Although members of the Canadian Arctic Expedition did not travel extensively
within the boundaries of what is now
Nogait National Park, they did travel up some rivers and along the nearby
coast. Their observations have contributed to knowing this park and the history
of its use.
In March and April 1915, Chipman and O'Neill travelled from
Bernard Harbour west to Darnley Bay and surveyed the coast back east to Bernard
Harbour. O'Neill completed geological investigations on the east side of the bay.
They explored the Hornaday (named by Stone in 1898) and Brock Rivers (named for
the geologist and former Director of the Geological Survey of Canada). O'Neill
ascended Brock River and made a geological section of the country.
R. M. Anderson and Mike Siberia explored the Crocker and Inman
Rivers; Anderson collected many specimens and described features of the coast
near the Park, and spent some time exploring Mount Davy. Chipman also explored
the Croker River and came close to "discovering" Bluenose Lake.