Women in the Catalogues
Social Studies, History
Changing roles and images of women
- Ask students to read the papers by Shirley Lavertu and Lorraine
which discuss how women are portrayed in historical catalogues.
- Ask students to look in various historical catalogues for examples of
women are portrayed on the covers and on the pages.
- Print out, sketch, or make note of specific examples of women in each
showing different roles such as homemaker, career woman, or athlete.
- Engage in a class discussion about how the portrayals changed or
same and how these portrayals reflect changes in women's roles.
- Extend this activity to the present day by comparing the portrayals of
in the historical catalogues with those in contemporary catalogues.