Shopping through Time
History, Social Studies, Information Technology
Change, Technology, Fashion
Mail-order catalogues on this
- As a class, make a list of ten objects that your students and their
might order from a mail-order catalogue today.
- Divide your class into groups of three or four students.
- Assign a different catalogue to each group of students and challenge
to make an order from this catalogue that includes each of the ten
they can't find an exact item, they must find the closest match (for
a record player could replace a phonograph).
- Beginning with the group that consulted the oldest catalogue, ask the
to make presentations about what they would order from their catalogues.
- Each group should compare the items in the old catalogue to the items
the present-day list and identify the items that were not available and
was ordered instead.
- As a class, look at the changes in each item and discuss reasons for
- Challenge your students to predict how the items on the present-day
might change in the future.