Show and Tell
Social Studies, Language (reasoning and critical thinking,
and oral communication), History, Information Technology/Technology
- Historic catalogues on this site
- Books and other research materials (optional)
- Using the guidelines in Introduction to the
print out one or two pages from each catalogue. Suggested pages are
toys, large or small appliances, sports equipment, or audiovisual
- Circle an item on each page.
- Fold up the pages and place them in a hat.
- Ask students to select a page from the hat.
- Students must read their item's description to the class.
- Then, on their own, students must research their item to find out how
or technology item changed over time. Research sources could include the
on this site, other websites, books, parents, and grandparents.
- Students make a presentation about how they did their research, what
discovered about how their item (material, use, cost), and how it changed