Catalogue Lingo Past and Present
Social Studies, Language Arts
Change; Writing for a specific audience
- Historic catalogues on this site
- Contemporary catalogues brought in by students
- Overhead projector and screen (optional)
- Ask each student to bring in one or more mail-order catalogues from
- Before class, print out a few pages from one or more historic
or set up a projector and screen.
- First, as a class, look at a few pages from one of the historic
and select an item.
- Next, select a similar item from a contemporary catalogue. Suggestions
a pair of shoes, a bike, or a stove.
- Write out the text accompanying each item on your whiteboard or
onto a screen.
- As a class, compare the way both texts are written.
- Next, ask each student to choose an item that they own and to write
for it that may have appeared in a catalogue in the past.
- Ask a few students to read out what they have written.
- You could also ask students to choose an historic item and write text
would accompany it in a contemporary catalogue.